TOPPS TILES AWARDS FOR ACHIEVEMENT IN MOSAIC
‘CALL FOR ENTRIES’ AND COMPETITION GUIDELINES
Who is eligible:
* The competition is open to adults learning mosaic at further
education centres, craft workshops, community groups and therapy
workshops. It is not intended for students taking art and design
courses at college.
* Entrants must be beginners, and work submitted should have been
produced during their first mosaic course/s in 2010. Entrants and
winners in previous Topps Tiles mosaic competitions cannot be considered.
* The competition is for mosaics produced by individual artists
and, regretfully, we cannot include group projects or mosaics created
Entering the competition:
* A student’s work can only be considered if submitted by
his/her mosaic teacher.
* Teachers are required to send in ONE portfolio containing good
quality photographs of their students’ mosaics. Each portfolio
should contain pictures of work from a minimum of FIVE students,
and only one portfolio per teacher is allowed.
* Portfolios showing work from less than five different students
cannot be considered.
* Students may learn at different FE centres or workshops, but
all those included in a portfolio must be taught by the same teacher,
who will be our main point of contact throughout.
* After a student has spent many hours on their mosaic, it is important
that teachers produce a photograph which does justice to that work
and shows it in as good a way as possible.
* The piece should be placed against a plain background with the
photographer positioned directly in front before pressing the shutter.
A 6”x4” print is perfectly adequate, but 9”x6”
is the maximum size allowed. Images on CD will be accepted, but
prints are preferred.
* If a piece has been produced specifically for the garden, it
is permissible to photograph it in a suitable location outside.
* The following information should be clearly written on the reverse
of each photograph:
(1) teacher’s name, address, telephone number and e-mail
(2) name of college or workshop and full address
(3) overall dimensions of the work
(4) title of the piece
(5) function or use for which the piece is designed (if applicable)
(6) for abstract pieces, please insert an arrow to show which
way up the photograph should be viewed .
(7) artist’s name, address , telephone number and e-mail
* Photographs should be securely housed in a folder with the teacher’s
name clearly written on the cover.
* Closing date for entries is Monday 13th December 2010
Portfolios should be mailed to:
Topps Tiles Awards for Achievement in Mosaic
0116 282 8000
National finalists will be chosen by David Tuhill, who has taught
at various art colleges including the Royal College of Art. Mr.
Tuhill has experience at all levels of art and design education
and has been part of various design programmes and businesses.
National finalists and prizes:
* One national finalist will be chosen from each teacher’s
portfolio and every effort will be made to choose someone within
two weeks from receipt of that portfolio.
* Each national finalist will receive a cheque for £100 and
a special certificate. Each participating teacher will also receive
Topps Tiles store vouchers to the value of £300 to purchase
* National finalists’ prizes will be presented at each artist’s
nearest Topps Tiles store and a photographer will attend to take
pictures for local press.
* Each national finalist is required to take his/her mosaic with
them to the presentation at their nearest Topps Tiles store.
* Topps Tiles reserves the right to reproduce photographs of artists
and entries in commercial publications, with due acknowledgement
to the artist.
National winner and national award:
* Work produced by finalists will go forward for national judging
during early Summer 2011. The National Winner receives a £500
Topps Tiles commission for a mosaic artwork. By arrangement with
the artist, this artwork will be either the mosaic produced for
the competition or a mosaic duplicate of the original piece.
* The national judge will inspect the actual pieces of work and
national finalists should retain their work in order to be included.
The Topps Tiles Awards for Achievement in Mosaic is staged with
guidance and co-operation from the British Association for Modern